Delta-8, a cannabis-derived compound, has gained significant attention in recent years due to its unique properties, federal legalization, and potential therapeutic benefits. As its popularity grows, many individuals are curious about the effects Delta-8 has on the human body. Understanding how long Delta-8 will stay in your system can be helpful, especially for those who may undergo drug testing or need to consider its effects on their cognitive abilities and overall well-being. In this article, we will delve into the factors that influence Delta-8 in the body and explore how it can be detected.
What is Delta-8?
Delta-8 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is a synthetic analog of Delta-9 THC, the primary psychoactive compound found in cannabis. Delta-8 exhibits similar properties to Delta-9 THC but with milder psychoactive effects. It is considered to have a milder potency than THC. It is extracted from hemp plants and can be consumed in various forms, including vape cartridges, edibles, tinctures, Delta-8 drinks, and topicals. Users of Delta-8 often seek its potential therapeutic benefits such as:
- Pain Relief
- Reduced Anxiety
- Nausea Relief (Especially in Cancer Patients)
Delta-8 users report feelings of euphoria without paranoia while managing pain, relaxation, and other chronic issues. It is likely that regular use of Delta-8 products does not pose any major threats when purchased from a licensed manufacturer that offers strict quality control processes.
Is Delta-8 Legal?
There has been some recent debate about Delta-8’s legal standing but as of 2023, it is federally legal. Because it is sourced from hemp, Delta-8 was granted a loophole in the 2018 Farm Bill. The loophole was closed, appealed, and then overturned by The Federal Court of Appeals in 2022. Now, individual states are banning the substance. As it stands right now, 14 states have banned the sale and use of Delta-8 while 26 states either regulate it or have not weighed in on the subject. Users should consult local and state regulations before purchasing and consuming any products.
How the Body Affects Delta-8 Consumption
To understand how long Delta-8 stays in your system, we must examine its metabolism and elimination process. After consumption, Delta-8 is metabolized in the liver by enzymes and metabolites. These metabolites are then further broken down into water-soluble compounds and eliminated from the body via urine and feces.
Unfortunately, modern drug tests do not differentiate between Delta-9 THC and Delta-8 THC. Several factors influence the duration that Delta-8 and its metabolites stay in your system. These factors include:
- Dose and Frequency: The amount and frequency of Delta-8 consumption play a significant role. Higher doses and more frequent use may result in a longer detection window.
- Individual Metabolism: Each person’s metabolism differs, affecting how efficiently their body processes and eliminates substances. Factors such as age, weight, and overall health can influence the speed of metabolization.
- Consumption Method: The method of Delta-8 consumption also affects its duration in your system. Applying Delta-8 under your tongue or inhaling it tends to have a quicker onset and shorter duration compared to edibles or topicals.
- Body Fat Percentage: Delta-8 is lipid-soluble, meaning it can accumulate in fatty tissues. Individuals with higher body fat percentages may retain traces of Delta-8 for a longer period.
Does Delta-8 Show Up on Drug Tests?
The detection window for Delta-8 and its metabolites depends on the type of drug test employed. Common drug tests include urine, blood, saliva, and hair follicle analysis. Here’s an overview of the detection windows:
- Urine: The most common type of drug test, urine testing is widely available and common. Delta-8 metabolites can typically be detected in urine for up to 1 to 2 weeks after use. However, in heavy or chronic users, it may be detectable for a longer duration.
- Blood: Delta-8 remains detectable in blood for a shorter period compared to urine. It is typically detectable for a few days after use, but this window may vary depending on the individual’s metabolism and frequency of use.
- Saliva: Delta-8 is detectable in saliva for a relatively short time, usually up to 48 hours after use. This makes saliva testing less common for Delta-8 detection.
- Hair: Hair follicle tests have the longest detection window. Delta-8 and its metabolites can be detected in hair for approximately 90 days or even longer, depending on the length of the hair sample. This type of test is less common and not widely used.
It’s important to note that these detection windows are approximate and can vary based on individual factors and the sensitivity of the specific drug test used.
Ways to Flush Out Toxins in Your System
While there are no guarantees you can beat a drug test, you may be able to speed up some of your internal body processes. As previously stated, your body’s elimination process is dependent upon many factors like body fat and metabolism. If you are facing a known drug test, consider increasing your water intake, exercising regularly, and of course, stopping your Delta-8 consumption completely. You may also consider taking a daily multivitamin to increase the chances that all of your daily bodily functions are working at 100%. Finally, you may consider a detox regimen. Be sure to choose a reputable detox option that is highly rated and uses safe ingredients.
If You are Worried, it is Best to Be Cautious
Determining how long Delta-8 will stay in your system is a complex scenario since it depends on various factors like dosage, frequency, metabolism, and the type of drug test ordered. Unfortunately, there is no scientifically proven evidence suggesting there are any methods to speed up the metabolization process of Delta-8 in your body.
While Delta-8’s psychoactive effects are typically milder compared to Delta-9 THC, its presence in the body can still be detected through drug tests. Therefore, if you anticipate being subjected to drug testing or need to consider its impact on cognitive abilities and overall well-being, it is advisable to stop use and exercise caution by allowing sufficient time for the compound to clear your system.